Beacon- A signaling or guiding device

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mommy Day's

This is my first pregnancy while homeschooling and its been a little more difficult then I thought. Even though I am expecting my fifth child ( later in August) its the first time since my other children started school that I've been pregnant. I started homeschooling just after having my fourth child so I never experienced the exhaustion that comes with pregnancy mixed with schooling two children and entertaining two other children at the same time. The only reason I even have the energy to write this now is because I am exiting the first trimester and have some of my energy back, thank goodness! Don't get me wrong everything is going very well and I feel great but being tiered is very tough when you have so much in a day to accomplish.
I am so blessed to have a very supportive husband, children and parents who have all helped me during this time. My husband always picks up my slack when I'm pregnant and never complains , he has said though that this part of pregnancy is very lonely for him ( poor guy). My children help out extra with little complaint, setting the table cleaning up , folding laundry and even helping with potty training our youngest. My parents offered to come two mornings a week to teach the kids for me to give me a chance to rest!! That has been amazing for the kids and my self.
Now that I've just told you about the great help and positive side of pregnancy and homeschooling I'll let you in on the part I would rather not let anyone know, "Pregnancy Days". We all know that children educated away from the home have "Snow Days" and In service days off from school, well we don't but we have sure made up for it in the last two months!! Yes I am admitting to skipping far to many days due to me being pregnant I am not proud of this but it seemed to be the only way to survive! We don't miss every day but things have been very sporadic during this time , sometimes teaching only half of our subjects a day, teaching in the evening when my husband is around, or not schooling at all. I worried allot about this everyday but then noticed over time that the kids were still learning, how could this be? My 5 year old was reading things he wasn't before and my two year old was describing the morning sunrise as a beautiful pink and orange sky and I hadn't taught her those colors! After those moments I realized that I am just a guide to them and God had already given them the ability to learn.Even with out my routined instruction they have continued to learn and are doing just fine. I know now that this is just another season of my life and things won't fall apart during a time when I need to rest and keep my self and baby healthy.I need to thank the Lord every day for blessing us with the opportunity to homeschool and for not judging me for taking "Mommy Days" when I need it and opening my eyes to new things at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. "I am just a guide to them and God had already given them the ability to learn"

    That's it right there, honey :) Don't worry yourself. They're still little. Even if you end up taking a few months off from "regularly-scheduled programming," everyone will be all right.

    ReplyDelete