Beacon- A signaling or guiding device

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Burning Bush- how Homeschoolers Beacon was created

It's ALWAYS hard when God calls to us from a burning bush! One evening I sat down to take a breath after getting my four children off to bed and tried to think what (of one of many things) I was going to work on . I had great plans early in the day to sit down in the evening while my husband was out and the children were in bed and do my devotional in my Bible, catch up on some reading or work on my lesson plans for school. Instead , when all was quiet I just sat with a blank mind as if I had nothing to do! This seemed very strange to me because I was really looking forward to this time for myself all day. Then I was suddenly filled with a great desire to to have a homeschooling meeting. That lead to me planning to host it, organize, do a devotional and I thought up a logo and name for the group ( all in just over an hour).This was God not me!This is not something that comes naturally to me. The devotion came with a turn of a page in my Bible .I was brought to the story of God calling Mosses from a burning bush( found in Exodus 3: 1-15 )and I thought ,when God calls us from a burning bush and asks us to do something very difficult everything in us says no and thinks of reasons why we can't do it. The lies creep in, you can't organize a meeting, you can't lead a group and give encouragement to other homeschooling families. For you It may be ,am I qualified to school my children?Are all of my children's needs being meet? Is this really what God has called me to do?
Gods response to Moses is great. He doesn't laugh and agree that he can't do what he's asking him to do . He doesn't walk away in disappointment he simply tells Moses," I will be with you" .The responsibility for rescuing the Israelites remained with God even when Moses was commanded to head up the committee. This goes the same for when he asks us to do things for him . The responsibility remains with God to fill his purposes , but the choice to be involved with him is ours.
He was with me guiding and giving me the tools I needed to pull this off . He directed me to the right resources and people to help me start this group and have our first meeting. It turned out great and I hope the group grows and reaches many homeschooling families. Thank you to my husband and friends for your kind words and support.Most of all thank you God for always being with me!

1 comment: